Skip to main content

Studying music in Amsterdam

All those who choose to study at the Conservatorium van Amsterdam (CvA) opt for a multi-faceted programme with plenty of scope for personal development. Supervision by first-class teachers and a stimulating environment will ensure that students develop into top-class musicians performing at the highest level. Thanks to many special projects, a strong relationship between theory and practice is guaranteed during the course. Students benefit from the high quality of education within the conservatoire and from the rich cultural climate of Amsterdam. As a result, they not only train to become excellent musicians or teachers, but also versatile artists with a wide set of skills.

Approximately twelve hundred students from the Netherlands and abroad take courses at the CvA in the fields of classical music, jazz, early music, opera, Latin and pop music. The many special projects during their studies will provide them with real-life experience of the industry. For example, they get to perform in the Concertgebouw, the Bimhuis, the Muziekgebouw aan ‘t IJ, the Beurs van Berlage, Melkweg or Paradiso.

Studying at the CvA

International climate
The atmosphere at the CvA is very international. A large number of foreign students make the decision to study in Amsterdam. The CvA also collaborates with academic institutions all over the world which makes it possible for our students to study for a few months at a conservatoire abroad. Moreover, we regularly invite guest teachers from the Netherlands and abroad to lead workshops, clinics and master classes.

Bachelor’s and Master’s programme
The educational programme consists of two phases: a four-year bachelor’s degree programme and a two-year master’s degree programme. The master’s degree is open to a limited number of talented students. The bachelor’s and master’s degree programmes provide a thorough preparation for the profession of teaching, performing arts and/or creative musicianship. During both phases there is ample room for personal choices and students are given the opportunity to explore new avenues. 

Preparatory course, Young Talent, other courses
Prior to the professional training, it could be a possibility to follow a preparatory course for the Jazz and Classical department in which students can acquire the instrumental and/or vocal skills, musical comprehension and theoretical knowledge necessary for successfully completing the entrance examination of the bachelor’s degree programme.

Talented children who are ready for lessons at a conservatoire level at a young age could apply for one of the programmes of the Young Talent department: the Sweelinck Academy (classical), the Junior Jazz College (jazz) or the Young Pop Academy (pop).

The CvA also offers opportunities for further training and study by contract for professional musicians who wish to acquire or stay updated on specific knowledge and skills. Every summer musicians from outside the conservatoire can also follow the Keep An Eye Summer Jazz Workshop.

More information about these study programmes can be obtained from the relevant departments.

Practical experience in the professional field
The Conservatorium van Amsterdam organises and facilitates a variety of festivals, masterclasses, courses and workshops. Participants from our own country and from all over the world make these into exciting events and we work together with leading venues and concert halls. For example, we organise projects with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, the Nationale Opera en Ballet, the Nederlands Philharmonisch Orkest, the Jazz Orchestra of the Concertgebouw and MOJO. Furthermore, students perform in venues such as the Concertgebouw, Muziekgebouw aan ‘t IJ, Bimhuis, Melkweg, Paradiso and other leading international venues. 

Through our contacts with top music institutions from all over the world, students can participate in exchange programmes at other renowned conservatoires. Master’s Jazz students can participate in the European EUJAM programme at the conservatoires of Paris, Berlin, Copenhagen and Trondheim.

Professional prospects
Many graduates find a place in mixed professional practices. They form chamber music ensembles, jazz or pop bands; play in orchestras; teach privately or at a music school, or leading workshops; set up projects; lead their own ensembles or choirs or find work in cultural management or as music journalists. During the study programmes a lot of attention is paid to solid preparation for the practical and business aspects of the professional music industry, which is constantly evolving. 

Students of the Music in Education programme are primarily trained to teach music in primary and secondary schools, senior secondary vocational education (MBO) and higher professional education (HBO). An important new field of work is the development and implementation of educational programmes at large music institutions. Many graduates also work as choral conductors, music consultants, ‘Algemene Muzikale Vorming’ (AMV) teachers (teachers of general musical education) at music schools, leaders of instrumental ensembles, in social-cultural work or in cultural management. Another option is creating and performing ‘community music’ with amateurs and professionals. Students who want continue studying can follow the interdisciplinary Master of Education in Arts at the Amsterdam University of the Arts after obtaining their bachelor’s degree.

Funds and Scholarships

Dutch students

Conservatorium van Amsterdam

The Conservatorium van Amsterdam (CvA) is part of the Amsterdam University of Arts. The CvA has (limited) various scholarships available for students who need financial support for their studies, and for exceptionally talented students.

The conservatoire has the following funds at its disposal:

  • the Musicians of Tomorrow Foundation to support children and young people with exceptional musical talent on their way to the concert podium;
  • the Nuijts Foundation offers financial support to under-18 students of the Young Talent department, who play the piano or a string instrument; and
  • the Jacques Vonk Fund, for piano students in the bachelor’s and master’s degree programmes of the Conservatorium van Amsterdam for the benefit of studies in general, a study period abroad or a special project. 

More information can be found on the Funds and Scholarships page of the CvA website.

Amsterdam University of Arts

Have you fallen behind with your studies due to special circumstances? In some cases, students from the Amsterdam University of the Arts may be able to obtain financial support through the Profiling Fund.

Students outside of the EEA

International students that are from countries outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) and want to study a bachelor or master degree programme for the first time in the Netherlands, might be eligible for the NL-Scholarship (formerly known as Holland Scholarship). This scholarship is worth €5000 and is only awarded for the first year of your studies. Every year there are a certain number of scholarships available. If you want to apply for the NL-Scholarship, then you do have to meet the criteria. More information is available on the AHK website.

Cross Academy Fund

Would you like to involve students from other academies in your graduation project? Or have you always wanted to work with students from other academies? Then the AHK can offer financial support your project from the Cross Academy Fund. This fund was created to give students the opportunity to look beyond the confines of their own academy.

Cooperation between students from different academies often results in special projects and valuable experience. Students who would like to set up their own project in collaboration with students from another academy can receive a financial contribution of up to €750 including VAT. To be considered, you can submit an application on

More information about what the application should include can be found on the AHK intranet You will need to log in with your student account.

Student finance

Dutch students

If you are under the age of 30, enroled as a full-time student at the CvA (bachelor, master or associate degree) and meet a number of conditions, you can apply for student finance via DUO (the Education Executive Agency). Student finance consists of different components, one of which is the student travel product. You can choose which of these components you want to apply for. It is advised to apply for student finance at least 8 weeks before you are eligible. 

Please note: student finance is not always a gift, read more about the conditions on the website of DUO

The application procedure for student finance goes as follows: 

  • Firstly, you need a DigiD, this is a personal login code which gives you access to websites of the government. You can apply on and it will take at least three working days; 
  • Once you have your DigiD, you can log in to the website of DUO and apply for student finance;
  • Lastly, you need a personal OV-chipcard to upload the student travel product.

For more information about student finance, please visit the government website DUO

Are you not (or no longer) entitled to student finance and are you under 56 years old? Then you may be able to borrow money to pay for your tuition fees. See: life-long learning credit.

Stopping student finance
Did you graduate or are you (temporarily) quitting your studies? Then you are no longer entitled to student finance. You need to stop your student finance and convert your student travel product into a regular public transport card. You can arrange this yourself via DUO.

International students

Are you a CvA student with a non-Dutch nationality, who lives and/or works in the Netherlands? If so, you may be eligible for student finance via DUO. This depends on your age, the study programme that you are following and your nationality or residence status.

Firstly, you need to be under the age of 30. Secondly, you need to be enrolled as a full-time bachelor, master or associate degree student at the CvA. Lastly, if you are an EU/EEA, Swiss or UK citizen or you have a residence permit type I you might be eligible for student finance. However, you do need to meet certain conditions, which are dependent on your current situation. These conditions are listed on the website of DUO.

For students with a residence permit type II, III, IV or V the same conditions apply as students with a Dutch nationality.

STIP - Student Information Point of the CvA

If you have a practical question about studying at the CvA and you don’t know where to find the information you need, send an email to The Student Information Point will do her best to answer your questions or refer you to the right department. The Student Information Point is located on the 10th floor and on the ground floor of the main building.

Graciella Tawjoeran

Opening hours
Mondays to Thursdays

Student Counsellor of the CvA

The CvA student counsellor provides information and guidance to students on both practical and personal matters relating to study conditions and student life. 

If you are experiencing problems during your studies, the student counsellor will work together with you to try and find possible solutions, so that you may proceed with your studies as best as you can or for you to decide to defer or discontinue your studies. Conversations with the student counsellor are confidential and personal information is handled with great sensitivity. Generally speaking: the sooner you reach out, the better you can be advised.

Students can approach the counsellors about the following issues, among other things: 

  • problems with your study (including an imminent delay in study completion);
  • exceptional circumstances, such as illness, psychological problems or other impairments;
  • possible changes to the educational programme, or the manner of assessment or testing;
  • enrolment and termination of enrolment, stopping or deferring your studies;
  • regulations regarding the propaedeutic year/first year of the degree programme and binding study advice (BSA);
  • In case of unforeseen problems with the financing of your study;
  • information about health insurance;
  • complaints and appeal procedures;
  • legislations and regulations. 

The CvA student counsellor is Mirjam Pol. Mail:

Student association CODA

CODA is the student association for and run by CvA students. All CvA students can become a member.

PURPOSE: connecting students from different study programmes and study years with each other socially and musically. 

  • Connecting socially: drinks, parties, interdisciplinary musical events and sport events. 
  • Connecting musically: study-related events and workshops.

More information and registration: or in the corridors.


Exchange students

The Conservatorium van Amsterdam has more than one hundred bilateral contracts with partner institutions all over the world. As part of these collaborations the CvA organises exchange programmes, which enable CvA students to study abroad for a semester and students from our partner universities to spend a semester at the CvA. An extensive overview of partners within and outside Europe can be found on the CvA website.

CvA students can study a semester abroad at one of our partner institutions, depending on placement options and completion of the required courses at the CvA. Information about the application procedure and deadlines can be found on MyAHK or by contacting the International Relations Officer.

More information:

Ruth Graf-Fleet – International Relations Officer


The British departure from the European Union (the Brexit) on 31 January 2020 has consequences for UK citizens who want to study in the Netherlands. Your rights are regulated on the basis of the Trade and Cooperation Agreement, which the EU and the UK have concluded. In this agreement no agreements are made about studying from 1 January 2021 onwards. UK citizens are therefore treated the same as non-EU/EEA citizens. Whether you are entitled to study financing and statutory tuition fees depends on your residence permit. In most cases, you will not be entitled to statutory tuition fees and study funding.

For the most up-to-date information, please visit the central government’s page on Brexit and higher education


The Amsterdam University of the Arts (AHK) can support students who have been admitted to a full-time study programme with their visa and residence permit applications.

The AHK Central Student Administration can act as an intermediary between the applicant and the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

You can find more information on the visa procedures webpage of the AHK.