Skip to main content

Living & studying in Amsterdam

If you study music in Amsterdam, you will of course also want to live in Amsterdam. Do bear in mind that the Dutch capital is a very popular place to live and study. We recommend that you start looking for suitable accommodation as soon as possible. On this page, we would like to give you more information and tips on how to find affordable accommodation.

As a student you are responsible for finding a room yourself. In Amsterdam and the surrounding areas, you can find a room or a house via the municipalities, housing corporations, special institutions or private individuals. One way of doing this is by registering on ROOM, even if you are not a student yet but expect to start studying in Amsterdam.

Bachelor and master students of the conservatory can also register for the waiting list of the Jan Pietersz. Huis Foundation. However, there are a number of conditions attached to this registration which you can read about further down this page.  

For more general information about living in Amsterdam, please consult the website of the municipality of Amsterdam.

Jan Pietersz House Foundation

Especially for music students

The Amsterdam University of the Arts does not have its own student houses, but students of the Conservatorium van Amsterdam (CvA) can benefit from the offer of the Jan Pieterszoon Huis Foundation, which aims to create suitable living and working spaces for music students (fitted with sound insulation) in collaboration with the CvA. All bachelor and master students of the CvA may apply for inclusion on the waiting list of Jan Pieterszoon Huis (JPH).

JPH has a portfolio of about 350 houses. Most of the houses are specifically fitted out for music students to study at home. If you have registered with JPH, you will be put on the waiting list and receive regular emails with available rooms. Keep in mind that the waiting time can be up two to three years. 

Are you interested in a JPH flat? You can register via the web-app on the JPH website, but keep the following in mind:

  • you can only register with an AHK email address. You will receive this email address at the beginning of the academic year;
  • there is a waiting list of approximately two to three years;
  • costs for a spot on the waiting list are € 26.50 per calendar year;
  • tenancy is for a minimum of one year;
  • subletting (via Airbnb for example) is strictly prohibited;
  • after graduation you have to leave the residence;
  • housing is unfurnished unless otherwise indicated;
  • more information and conditions can be found on the website of JPH.

Do you have any questions or want more information? Then please contact

Accommodation in Amsterdam

A room via official institutions such as the municipality and housing corporations

  • At ROOM, you can find student rooms in Amsterdam, Delft, The Hague, Deventer, Leiden, Haarlem or Wageningen. You can register if you are 16 years or older.
  • The Social Hub (TSH) has more than 700 rooms that can be let to both Dutch and international students. The length of stay can vary from 1 week to 12 months. Permanent accommodation is not possible. Check out: Amsterdam City or Amsterdam West.
  • StudentenWoningWeb – Housing corporations De Key and Ymere with rooms and flats for students publish their offers on this website. You pay a one-off registration fee of €22,50. Rooms are assigned based on the registration time and priority arrangements. Please note; soon this platform will disappear. More information about this announcement can be found here. (Information on the website is only available in Dutch)
  • Student Experience offers self-contained studios with a private bathroom and kitchen.
  • The municipality of Amsterdam has produced a housing guide for students. This guide explains how to find accommodation in Amsterdam, but also provides information on what to look for. (The guide is only available in Dutch)
  • ASVA studentenunie mediates between landlords and students who are members of the union.
  • WOON! gives residents information and advice on letting and buying, among other things. It is an independent non-profit foundation, partly subsidised by the municipality. They also help people who are looking for housing through mediation with housing corporations in case of difficulties. 

Rooms from private landlords

You can rent a room from a private landlord – for example through a letting agency (Dutch website), in a student house or with a family. This is called ‘house sharing’ and is subject to strict rules in Amsterdam. A landlord must have a permit for this.

There are two important legal rules to bear in mind when it comes to ‘house sharing’:

  • each resident must have their own rental contract with the landlord;
  • you must be permitted to register your room address with the municipality. Not permitted? Then the landlord is probably letting the room illegally. The ASVA student union provides more information about this (see above).

There are also legal rules for renting a room from a landlady (information only available in Dutch).


Illegal landlords are active. Do not pay ‘key money’: a payment demanded before you can enter the house. It is not permitted by law to ask for key money.

However, it is customary and legally permitted to ask a deposit from a new tenant; you will get this money back if you leave the house in good order at the end of your tenancy.

More information on (information only available in Dutch). You can also visit the website of WOON! and I Am Expat for tips on how to avoid housing scams. 

Renting a room during a stay abroad

Students going on an exchange or an internship abroad who want to sublet their room or rent a room themselves can do so via the website Read more about this initiative.

Rent benefit

Rent benefit is an allowance for rental costs that is paid out by the national government. When you meet the conditions, rent benefit can help you to afford the house you are renting.

Whether you are eligible for rent benefit depends on your age, rent, income, nationalilty and whether the rented accomodation counts as an independent accomodation. On the Tax Administration website you will find an overview of the conditions for receiving rent benefit and how to apply for it.

For the application you can use the test calculator on the Tax Administration website (only available in Dutch). This calculator helps estimate how much rent benefit you can expect. After you have done the test calculation, you can submit your application via the Tax Administration’s website, using “Mijn toeslagen” (only available in Dutch). You will then receive a message from the Tax Administration whether you are entitled to rent benefit and how much, if any, you will receive. 

You can also receive rent benefit retrospectively. This means that you can still apply for rent benefit for the year(s) you were entitled to it but did not receive it.

If you need help with your application while located in the Netherlands, you can call the Tax Information Line